stat counter

Monday, February 27, 2017

BACK IN THE GAME WITH THE YOUNG VIEJOS

     I had heard of the softball team for years, Coral Gables' Young Viejos (which translates, "young old men"). I went to one of their games in 2010 and asked one of the players if I could join. He told me I was too young (you have to be at least 65). I went home and thought about it for six years.

     Last fall I ventured to the Gables Youth Center ball park and asked again. The Viejos told me I could  participate in pre-game practices until a spot on their 40-man roster opened up. The practice-after-practice experience was like pledging a fraternity.
     My big break happened last Thursday. I was voted in, officially introduced to the team, and played in my first game. 
   After a five-decade hiatus I'm playing ball once more. Who knew growing old could be this much fun?


No comments:

Post a Comment